Thursday, January 14, 2010

Reviews, Reviews, Reviews . . . .

In the past week, I have been immersed in reviews of a different kind – year-end performance reviews for work (yes, I know it is already January and actually “Year Beginning” but we always seem to be on a delayed schedule around here!) I have completed a self-review, review of multiple direct reports, 360 degree review of my manager and lateral review of many colleagues. I have definitely reached a point where I have used the corporate speak in as many varied ways as possible as I try to describe the strengths and areas for development of my colleagues.

This exercise certainly makes me appreciate the pleasure that I derive from reviewing books – novels provide such excellent substance on which to comment. The characters, the setting, writing style, plot – there are so many aspects of a novel that can be incorporated into a review. But more than that is the joy in sharing a good book with fellow readers and having them share their opinions. Can’t get that from a year-end work review!

Book reviews, however, do not pay my bills, so back to areas for development, strengths, weaknesses, etc!

3 comments:

  1. My husband is doing these too and he hates them! I hope you're through with them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having escaped years ago from the corporate world you have my sympathy-your blog is off to a great start

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel u - Thanks for your kind words about my blog. Hope you will continue to stop by.

    Bermudaonion - Yes - I am finally done! Won't have to deal with them again until mid year.

    ReplyDelete