Sunday, January 6, 2013

Announcing Immigrant Stories Challenge 2013

For the third year, I am proud to host the Immigrant Stories Challenge. As I said in the post announcing the inaugural Immigrant Stories Challenge in 2011, I am the child of immigrants and have always been drawn to immigrant stories in my reading. As I started to pay attention to the theme, I realized it is actually very prevalent in literature. Across many genres, books features immigrants from and to many nations in addition to the stories of their children as they try to fit in.

 The Challenge
 The only requirement of the challenge is that the books read for it include an immigrant story. The immigrants can be coming to or from any country - expand your horizons!

 How Many Books Do I Need to Read?
 There are three levels for the challenge:
 Just off the boat: 1-3 books
 This land is my land?: 4-6 books
 Fully assimilated: 6+ books

 What types of books are eligible? Only fiction? How about audiobooks?
All types of books are eligible - fiction, non-fiction, short stories, audiobooks, e-books. Other details? Re-reads are acceptable as are cross-overs with other challenges. Last year, I tried to post a monthly feature that covered a topic relevant to immigration (and often books) - guest posts from authors of books featuring an immigrant story and or who were immigrants themselves (Rosanna Chiofalo, Kate Kerrigan, Aine Greaney, and Pamela Schoenewaldt, Jyotsna Sreenivasan). I will be doing the same this year and hope to be a bit more consistent with it than last year! If you are an author of a book with an immigrant theme or are interested in posting about the immigrant experience, please contact me.

 Any book suggestions? You can find recommendations for books that cover the immigrant experience here - this is in no way comprehensive but will give you a start. The link includes titles that have been suggested for the challenge and links to reviews of immigrant stories by past participants.

 What are the dates for the challenge? January 1, 2013 - December 31, 2013. You can sign up anytime. If you are "at capacity" for challenges this year (I know the feeling), I hope you will consider helping to spread the word about the challenge.

 How Do I Sign Up? 
Go here to sign up and post one of these buttons on your blog or in your sign-up post:







5 comments:

  1. My maternal grandparents were immigrants from Sweden, and I've found immigrant stories to be fascinating.

    I have already signed up for too many challenges! But this one may compel me to add another...we shall see!

    Here's MY SUNDAY SALON POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for hosting! I have become quite intrigued by memoirs and have some books that fit both categories (immigrant memoirs) sitting on my TBR shelf that I would like to read - so I am delighted to have found your blog and your challenge!

    Where will we link the books that we have read?

    Look forward to getting to know you in the upcoming year!

    Create With Joy
    http://www.create-with-joy.com/2013/01/2013-reading-challenges.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining! There is a link in the left column of my blog (under the Immigrant Stories challenge button) for Review Link - Ups.

      Delete
  3. I'm in, my grandparents are immigrants from Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read story books rather than famous authors books ...great post!!

    ReplyDelete