Sunday, January 24, 2010

In My Mailbox/Monday Mailbox


Story Siren hosts In My Mailbox where book bloggers offer a peek into the books that arrived in their homes over the past week. Mailbox Monday hosted by Marcia at the Printed Page has the same objective - I can relate to the warning that accompanies this meme on her website: "Warning: Mailbox Monday can lead to envy, toppling TBR piles and humongous wish lists"

Well, I have definitely fallen victim to the topping TBR piles! The book buying/swapping has gotten out of control since I started book blogging. Here is what arrived this week"

  1. The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks- this is a review copy that arrived from Val at Hachette Books (thank you!). Looking forward to reading and reviewing it - I will also soon be doing a giveaway for this book.
  2. Nine Parts of Desire: The Hidden World of Islamic Women by Geraldine Brooks- this is for the January theme of the Social Justice Challenge - Religious Freedom
  3. Land of Mango Sunsets by Dorothea Benton Frank- found this at a Borders sale and couldn't resist since my Mom really enjoys this author and has recommended her to me. I figured we will both read this book
  4. Oxygen: A Novel by Carol Cassella- another Borders sale find! I love novels with a medical twist - especially those written by doctors
  5. In a Good Place: A Novel by Rachel Johnson - another Borders sale find! This is the sequel to Notting Hell which I loved so I am definitely looking forward to this one.
  6. I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosby - this collection of essays was recommended to me quite some time ago but it finally came up on PBS
  7. MIDDLE PLACE- by Kelly Corrigan - picked this up in the thrift store as I have been meaning to read it for a long time
  8. Water for Elephants: A Novel-by Sara Gruen - another thrift store purchase
  9. The Dogs of Babelby Carolyn Parkhurst - my final thrift store find on this outing
wow! That's alot of books - what arrived into your home?

17 comments:

  1. I love Geraldine Brooks, but I haven't read Nine Parts of Desire. I'll be looking forward to your review! I also loved Water for Elephants. I read that one in one night! And I love the title for I Was Told There'd Be Cake. I've heard of it, but I haven't read it.

    Enjoy your books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard great things about I was Told There Would Be Cake. Will look forward to your review!

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got some fabulous books. DBF is one of my favorite authors too. Water for Elephants is an excellent read. I hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got some great books this week. I liked Oxygen a lot as well as Water for Elephants. Here are mine:

    http://bibliophilebythesea.blogspot.com/2010/01/mailbox-monday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Water for Elephants is one of my favourite books. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a lot of good books...I really enjoyed Water for Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i read 'i was told there'd be cake' last year and thought it was going to be better than it was--and that from a person who LOVES snarky memoir-type books. i hope you enjoy it, and the huge pile of books you scored this week.

    thankfully, it was a slow week for me. just a few travel guides on disney from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great week in books! They all look good. I've read The Middle Place and it's good, but it will make you cry. Have some tissues handy when you read it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great group of books you got this week :) Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great buys that you found! I have been wanting read The Last Siong. I'll be watching for your review. Enjoy all your reads!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, looks like you'll be busy for a while. I recently read Water for Elephants, after picking it up at a book sale six months ago. It took me a while to get to it, but I enjoyed it and hope you do too.

    Simcha

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dang - I didn't read the warning first! Now I'm full of envy and drooling all over the place :) Enjoy all your new goodies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did get some good books! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like a good list. My daughter is reading and enjoying Dear John by Nicholas Sparks right now – I plan to read it after her. I loved Brooks’s novel, People of the Book, but I haven’t read her nonfiction. I enjoyed Gruen’s Water for Elephants too.

    ReplyDelete