Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Review: The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga






The White Tiger: A Novel (Man Booker Prize)
is an irreverent look at modern day India - particularly at the relationship between master and servant. As the author tells it, this powerful, imbalanced relationship very much defines life in even modern day India perpetuating the caste system which has governed society in India for generations. The novel examines the relationship and its consequences for both master and servant.

The story is told from an interesting perspective – that of the white tiger – a self-declared successful entrepreneur who was born in the countryside and moved to Delhi to be the driver for a corrupt landlord. He ultimately built a successful business providing taxi services to the office and call center workers of Bangalore who kept US hours and therefore worked late into the night in India. He tells his story by way of letters to the Premier of China. This is an interesting set-up especially as you consider that India and China are often quoted as being in competition to be the next world superpower.

The narrator spares nothing in his honest look at the corruption that powers India and the indecencies suffered by the lower classes. By no means is this a lyrical tale of romantic India- Adiga blows those myths wide open and reveals the dark underbelly of the country. Nothing is sacred - the author challenges the presumed obligation to family felt by young Indian men and even demystifies the many religious rituals practiced by the country’s faithful.

There is an interesting theme of desire for an education that runs through the novel – the author does an excellent job of demonstrating the importance placed on education in this country and how those in lower classes see it as a way to rise above their given station. The author confesses to a passion for books – “So I stood around that big square of books. Standing around the books, even books in a foreign language, you feel a kind of electricity buzzing up towards you”. A sentiment to which I can certainly relate! As much as this narrator can seem unsympathetic, his recognition of the power of education and books endears him to me.

I was traveling in India as I read this book and many of the scenes resonated for me. I wonder if I would have found this book as appealing before coming here – would I have felt the criticism of the country too harsh? Having been here, however, I have seen a small piece of that underbelly and know that the country is comprised of much more than just the romantic scenes one sees in movies such as A Passage to India. For that reason, I found the book refreshing – I enjoyed its unvarnished look at this very complex country. It is definitely a must read – the book will provide a perspective on this country that you are unlikely to have seen in other books. It provides a nice balance to some of the more lyrical tales of India – by reading both perspectives you truly get an understanding for the contradictions that define India.

12 comments:

  1. I read Shantaram a few years ago with my book club, and I think that also gave us a vivid glimpse into the country. Great review...this is one that has been on my TBR list for quite some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jo. I have seen so many people here in India reading Shantaram. Its been on my TBR for awhile but its so big I always get put off before starting it. I am impressed that you did it for book club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review. The previous reviews I read were not very encouraging so I did not consider putting it into my to read list, but now I might add this to the other books I was planning to read –such as Midnight Children and A Suitable Boy…

    ReplyDelete
  4. would definitely recommend White Tiger - its definitely offers a different view of India than I have seen in many books.

    BTW - just read your review of Sea of Poppies - this is on my TBR (may do it for SAAC). I read Glass Palace by him last year and really liked it.

    Looking forward to reading more of your reviews throughout the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found you through the Comment Challenge; I am delighted to see this particular review as I have touched this book many times in airport bookstores but would then remember the very mixed reviews I had read. I am definitely adding it high on the TBR pile now. My grandparents had two young women from India living with them on a professional exchange program when I was in high school; that was 40+ years ago, but I have such vivid memories of learning from them, I know I will be more up to date reading this book. Happy New Year, safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rasco - thanks for stopping by and I am glad you found my review helpful. The book definitely doesnt paint the prettiest picture of India but its important to read about the good and bad of a country, right?

    Thanks again -

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed this book too. Very interesting for you to have read it while actually in the country. i enjoyed hearing your thoughts on it. Thanks for reviewing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandra - glad to hear you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! This is one that is definitely in my TBR list - one of my biggest goals this year is to read books by more Australian authors. I don't know if Adiga still considers himself Australian, but he spent a lot of time in Australia (in fact he went to a local high school with an ex-colleague of mine) so I am including it in my Australian TBR list. I usually love Man Booker winners, and i am sure after reading your review that I will love this too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If you like that, you might also like Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. It is a very dense read, but I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky - it is so funny that you made that comment on my blog today - I just signed up for the Battle of the Prizes challenge over at Rose City Reader and Midnight's Children is of my selections! Glad to hear you liked it - I will let you know what I think when I read it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This book was one of my favorite reads in 2009. Definitely not a sympathetic narrator but I had to know how he happened to get to where he was.

    ReplyDelete