Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Did you see it? Extraordinary Measures


The movie Extraordinary Measures opened on Friday, Jan 22nd. The movie, starring Harrison Ford, Keri Russell and Brendan Fraser, is inspired by the story of John Crowley, whose children have a rare genetic disorder which is usually fatal. The story centers around Crowley's quest to bring a drug to market that will slow the progression of his children's disease and extend their lives.

I was first introduced to this story about 3 years ago when I read The Cure: How a Father Raised 00 Million--and Bucked the Medical Establishment--in a Quest to Save His Children by Geeta Anand - the movie is actually adapted from the book. You can read my review here. John Crowley and his family's story really captivated me and I was inspired by the lengths to which a father would go in an effort to save his children.

I haven't seen the movie yet but, so far, the reviews look positive. The NYT's review was not a rave but also didn't bash the release, calling the movie, "nothing extraordinary, but nonetheless satisfying". Time Magazine was more positive about the film and ran an interesting article in which they examined the move of inspirational stories, like the one told in "Extraordinary Measures", from TV movies to films. The articles compares "Extraordinary Measures" to "The Blind Side" but points out there is even more on the line in "Extraordinary Measures" - the lives of two young children.


Did you see it? I would love to hear what you thought!

7 comments:

  1. I really want to see this movie. I didn't realize it was based on a book (although I should have). Now, another book to add to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to see this movie this week. Love Harrison Ford, and this sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this, but it sounds like a good premise for a movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the blind side so all those comparisons are definitely making me want to see this movie! Thanks for bringing my attention to the book it's based on ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen (or read) this but I too am compelled to learn more. It sounds like an amazing story.

    PS
    Thanks for visiting Tales of Whimsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is for sure on my must see list. I had no idea Keri Russell was in it. More reason to see the film. It already looked like a stellar cast with Harrison Ford and Brendan Fraser who I am excited to see expanding his roles. ;) I would love to read the book eventually as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen it, but your review of the book reminds me a little of one I'm reading right now, called His Brother's Keeper, about a man who goes to rather extraordinary measures (to borrow the phrase) to search for a cure for his 29-year-old brother's ALS.
    Love is a powerful motivator.

    ReplyDelete