Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Review: Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster




Bitter is the New Black : Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass,Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office (whew - that's a mouthful) is Jen Lancaster's hysterical memoir that recounts her tumble from a high-powered exec making a healthy six figure income to an unemployed (albeit very well-dressed - note the Prada bag in the book's title) woman who continually adjusts her standards as her money-making prospects dwindle. The memoir begins with the author's description of her high-flying lifestyle as a sales exec - from her spectacular apartment (aka the dot.com palace) complete with granite countertops and private deck to her expensive but very necessary hair coloring and pampering schedule. Despite her demonstrated success at work and her obvious dedication to her job, Jen loses her job and finds herself facing indignities such as the unemployment office. Over the next 12 months, Jen is unable to find a job even though she pursues every lead and lowers her expectations progressively over the year. She is driven to taking extreme measures to preserve some semblance of her former life - including getting married to her long-time boyfriend in an effort to secure health insurance and ulitmately moving from the dot.com palace to "the ghetto".

The entire story is told with Lancaster's signature wit - I literally laughed out loud while reading this book. The humor in the book is smart and cutting and very relatable - I swear many of the thoughts Jen articulated have run through my mind! No one is immune to her sarcastic commentary - she doesn't suffer incompetence easily. I think that is part of what makes this book work for me - despite Jen's over the top princess persona, you want to like her and find yourself rooting for her. She is clearly intelligent and hard-working and although her criticism of co-workers, clients, neighbors and customer service staff seems harsh, she speaks the truth. That honesty shines through all the humorous commentary and makes you want to read more.

I would definitely recommend this book - it is funny and refreshingly honest- you will relate to Jen and laugh along with her throughout the book!

7 comments:

  1. To funny, I look forward to reading this one, it is one my challenge books.

    Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marce! What challenge will you be reading it for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun read. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go to this link, its not to late to sign up.

    http://readingwithtequila.blogspot.com/2009/11/book-blogger-recommendations-list-2009.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember reading this book on a plane and trying very hard to smother my laughing because it's too weird to have to keep saying "you just have to read it." I was a little less enthralled with the second book, but I've put it aside to try again later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. MotherReader - I read the second one first - not deliberately but I happened to pick it up in the airport without realizing that there were others. It's been over a year since I read Such a Pretty Fat but I think Bitter is the New Black was funnier.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love relatable funny memoirs :) They so often articulate things I've felt much better than I could ever say them!

    ReplyDelete