Monday, May 17, 2010

Wrap Up Post: NY Challenge


Well, I have finished my first challenge!! Yahoo!! Ok - it only took one book to finish it but never mind - its an accomplishment!

Jill at Fizzy Thoughts hosted the NY Challenge to get people excited for BEA being held in NYC next week (next week - that came up quickly!). The rules were simple - read one book set in NY between the start of the challenge and May 15th. Jill also hosted 3 mini-challenges:

Feb: Create a list of ten things about NY - I wrote about my ten favorite places to read in NYC - maybe you can visit one or two if you are in town for BEA?
Heather from Age 30+ . . . A Lifetime of Books won the prize that month for her post on her ten favorite things about NY - her post draws attention to some of NYC's best so check it out before you come to the city for BEA!

Mar: Jill combined NY with women's history month and asked us to write about a "woman, NY, history" - I chose to write about Jackie Onassis and I won the prize that month! I received a lovely Strand coffee mug, pen and tin of mints. Thanks, Jill!

Apr: We were asked to compose a poem - my life at work fell apart that month and I could not summon any creative juices (there are few there to begin with!) so I did not participate in the April mini-challenge. But check out the poem written by Jenna from Little Bird - it was the winner that month!

For the challenge, I read a book I had been waiting to read for some time - Brooklyn by Colm Toibin (review here). It is a quiet story about an Irish immigrant living in Brooklyn in the 50's.

Thanks to Jill for hosting an excellent challenge and I look forward to welcoming everyone to the Big Apple next week!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing your first challenge! I like to make things doable...well, except for that poetry mini-challenge :-D

    So if we meet next week, bop me over the head if I look at you with a blank look when you introduce yourself. I'm afraid I'm going to forget who everybody is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing the challenge!

    Good review of what looks to be an interesting book. I like how you tied your family’s story into it and explained the appeal of Colm Toibin to you.

    I won’t be at the BEA myself, but I look forward to hearing about it from you.

    ReplyDelete