Sunday, May 2, 2010

In My Mailbox/Monday Mailbox: May 3, 2010

Story Siren hosts In My Mailbox where book bloggers offer a peek into the books that arrived in their homes over the past week. Mailbox Monday hosted by Marcia at the Printed Page has the same objective. These memes are great in that they offer us a chance to see what others are reading- it's like candy for book addicts!

As a form of comfort for myself after a grueling week at work, I made a stop on my way from CT to NYC at a little slice of book heaven - The Book Barn in Niantic, CT. I heard about this bookstore via the Spotlight on Bookstores feature on She is Too Fond of Books. The feature was written by author Sarah Pekkanen and she extolled the virtues of all the used books available at the barn and the variety of rooms and sheds dotted about the property each chock full of books. Well, the Book Barn didn't disappoint and I picked up 8 books! I could have brought many more home but I had to draw the line . . . I figure I can always go back!



Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: A Novel by Lisa See - I have heard wonderful things about this author and may read this book for the May selection of the World Party Reading Challenge hosted by Fizzy Thoughts

The Young Wan by Brendan O'Carroll - I have read all the others in the Agnes Browne series so I was excited to be able to pick this one up.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith - I somehow missed this classic growing up but definitely want to read it

A Minor Indiscretion by Carole Matthews - this looked like a fun beach read!

A Summer Affair: A Novel by Elin Hilderbrand - I haven't read anything by this author yet but she seems to have quite a following and the cover made me think of the beach during the upcoming summer!

Rory & Ita by Roddy Doyle - I was looking for some of his fiction but saw this non-fiction work he wrote about his parents and thought it sounded interesting

Bog Child by Siobhan Dowd - this was recommended on a list of Irish fiction I saw on Reading Matters

Forget me Not by Isabel Wolff - it appears this was never released in the US but I have a weakness for "Brit Chick Lit" so I had to snag it.

And the lovely STRAND mug and pen (there was also a tin of "NY mints" but I finished those before taking the picture!) arrived from Jill at Fizzy Thoughts - it was the prize for the March mini-challenge of her NY Challenge - thanks so much Jill!

What came into your home this week?

21 comments:

  1. I loved Snow Flower and The Secret Fan! A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is also an amazing read. Enjoy your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. I need to take a trip to hat Book Barn some day. Sounds like fun; enjoy all of your books and I LOVE your Strand mug. I am a coffee mug nut and book nut...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Book Barn sounds like a lot of fun! You got a great haul there! I've read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and I liked them. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you found some great treasures at the Book Barn! Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice books! I think you will enjoy Snow Flower and also A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Lovely books both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've read several Roddy Doyle books but not his nonfiction. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Snow Flower! I have been pulling out beach reads in anticipation of summer also. Enjoy all your new reads!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh! I'm jealous of "Forget Me Not"- I too have a weakness for British chick lit, I just can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like you received a lot of wonderful books. Enjoy them.
    Kelly Bookend Diaries
    http://bookenddiaries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Your mailbox is FULL! I think you will love Snowflower. And of course, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is a classic. Enjoy!

    Here's mine: http://suko95.blogspot.com/2010/05/just-another-mailbox-monday.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice Strand accessories- and nice pile. I hope you enjoy A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and all your new reads :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun to find a new-to-you bookstore -- and a BARN at that! I'd like to find a barn of books.

    Here is my MM list on Rose City Reader.

    (Sorry -- I messed up the link the first time.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, you got some good stuff. Wish The Book Barn would open some shed near me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've got some really good stuff here. A Tree grows in Brooklyn and I do like the sound of a Minor Indiscretion!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking haul! I so want to get to The Book Barn someday. I think I read the same article about it and the thought of going there makes me drool. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. quite a selection! i received jen lancaster's newest book and the first book in a series (for adults) by ann brashares--she wrote the sisterhood of the traveling pants. as for the book barn, i'm stopping there the next time i'm in CT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great mailbox! Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is one great book, I hope you'll enjoy it. I've been wanting to read one of Hilderbrand's books, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - that's quite a haul. Loved Snow Flower & Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Read both of those for bookclub in the last couple of years and had great discussions. Isn't it nice to look forward to good books?

    ReplyDelete
  20. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is lovely. Francie Nolan is one of my favorite literary characters.

    ReplyDelete