Sunday, May 23, 2010

TSS May 23 2010 - BEA Here I Come

The Sunday Salon.com
Hard to believe BEA is here already - it all seemed so far off when I registered in February and it was cold and snowy out - it has been in the 80's this weekend and BEA starts tomorrow.

Back then I had grand plans of attending every day of the conference - with it taking place cross-town at the Javits Center, I figured it would be no problem to make it there every day. Well life (mostly my job) has intervened and I will now have a difficult time making it there at all! I have managed to keep the Outlook calendar clear on Friday for Book Blogger Con and have defended that vacation day like a rabid dog so I hope to be in attendance for the entire conference on Friday without having to dive out for meetings and conference calls.

So my new scaled back BEA plan is:

Wed
Attend for a little in morning and hopefully catch the Brunonia Barry and Adriana Trigiani signings

Attend at the end of day and hopefully make the Julia Glass sigining

Attend the Book Blogger reception at the Algonquin hotel in the evening

Thurs
I will be in CT for work all day so won't make any of the sessions . I am especially bummed about missing the Adult Author Breakfast which is being hosted by Jon Stewart (a fellow W&M alum) but there is no way around this meeting in CT so I hope to read a report from a blogger that was able to attend

I may make the Goodreads literary pub crawl if I get back to the city in time

It may be a much scaled back plan but I happy to make as much of it as I can!

Other blog happenings this week. . .


I did a little blog housecleaning and put up a navigation bar on the home page which includes links to all my reviews organized alphabetically by author and also by genre.

Posted my wrap up post for the NY Challenge - one challenge down, many to go!

Posted my review of Prospect Place West by Amy Sohn - this snarky examination of the Park Slope Brooklyn neighborhood full of SAHMs "makes Desperate Housewives look like amateur hour"

I just started Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home - Laura and Lisa Ling's memoir about Laura's captivity in North Korea. Their story of fascinating and so far I am enjoying the book. I will read for this month of the World Party Challenge hosted by Jill of Fizzy Thoughts for which we need to read a book set in or about a Communist country.

My giveaway of 2 ARCs of Diane Meier's Season of Second Chances is ongoing and closes May 26th at midnight so there are still a few more days to enter!

Have a great week and I hope to meet some of you at BEA or BloggerCon in NYC!

7 comments:

  1. Oh man, I'm missing a good time. I know you will have fun. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can make it to all the events you have on your list. Wish I lived close enough to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to BEA last year and the year before. I loved it! This year I'm not going and am envious you're going for even a day. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been to BEA and I would love to go. I wasn't completely sure what it was about last year, but now that I know, I am completely envious. I'm just broke and unemployed, so what are ya gonna do, right? I hope you have fun with what you do get to participate in (since you fought for it like a rabid dog and all!)

    I look forward to your review of the Ling's book since I was very interested in that story and I really like Lisa Ling's reporting for Nat Geo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fun! Enjoy it for me and report back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully my health and financial situation will permit me to attend BEA and the Book Bloggers convention next year. Please tell us about it! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope BEA was fun ... and you were able to get home with all the ARCs you could grab!!! I recently did my own blog clean-up and it was a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete