Saturday, May 29, 2010

TSS: May 30, 2010

The Sunday Salon.com
Ahhh . . . a 3 day weekend! This is a very welcome break from far too much craziness at work and I am really looking forward to the extra day of rest.

Speaking of craziness at work - it unfortunately interrupted my BEA plans and I was unable to get over to the convention center at all during BEA. I have been so looking forward to all the festivities at BEA so I was very disappointed but tried to eke out what I could for the week. Here's a quick summary of what I got up to . . . .

Wed Night - Book Blogger Reception
The Book Blogger reception hosted by Harper Collins at the Algonquin Hotel and it was great to meet in person many bloggers whose blogs I read regularly including Marie of Boston Bibliophile, Megan of Leafing Through Life, Trisha from eclectic/eccentric , Amanda from The Zen Leaf, Jenny from Take Me Away and Jennifer from Crazy For Books. It was fun to put faces to names (and avatars)!

I also sat at a table with some book bloggers that were new to me - Alea from Pop Culture Junkie, Gail from Ticket To Anywhere, Jenn from Jenn's Bookshelves and Deborah from Books Movies and Chinese Food - everyone was buzzing about what they had seen at the convention that day from other bloggers to authors and of course books!

Friday - Book Blogger Convention
Book Blogger Convention
The Book Blogger Convention was fabulous and I am glad that with limited free time during the week that this was one the one daytime event that I was able to make - the entire agenda was geared towards book bloggers so it was very relevant and chock-full of tips, advice and things to consider. I will post later this week on what I learned from the many panel discussions.

In addition to great book blogger topics, the convention, of course, offered the opportunity to meet many book bloggers and publishers. Throughout the day I met Jael from As I Turn the Pages, Kim from Sophisticated Dorkiness, Care from Care's Online Book Club, Terry from the Reading Tub and Carey from The Tome Traveller. I also met fellow NYC book bloggers Kari from The Five Borough Book Review, Diane from BookChickDi and Lisa Peet from Likefire - there are a lot of book bloggers in NYC - maybe we should have a get together sometime soon?

There were a lot of publishers, publicists and agents at the convention - I didn't meet very many because I wasn't mingling as much as I could - but I did have the pleasure over lunch of chatting with Erin from Peachtree Publishers and Libby and Caitlin from Unbridled Books. We had a great discussion about favorite books from our childhoods and how to track them down.

All in all, it was a great event and I will share some of my "learnings" in a post later this week!

Meanwhile back at the blog . . . .



My blog has undergone a makeover! Thanks to Staci from Blogging Bella Designs my blog has been redesigned with a fun NYC-themed header and footer and "chick with books" image! It amazed me how she took info from a questionnaire and came up with such a great design that really reflects my interests and sense of design. Thanks Staci!

Books
Finished Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home by Laura and Lisa Ling
Reviewed The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott by Kelly O'Connor McNees
Reading Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder

Phew - this is a long TSS post. I hope you all are having a wonderful Sunday and enjoy Memorial Day tomorrow!!!

18 comments:

  1. I look forward to hear what you learned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great meeting you in NYC! =D

    The new look is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great new design! I really wanted to go to BEA this year... I'm really hoping next year I will get to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the new design! It was terrific to meet you too and I definitely think a NYC book blogger get together is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for stopping by.

    i love your blog design!!! i'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of your bea/bbc experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. By any chance, were you at Carrie and Kim's table at breakfast during the Book Blogger Convention? If so, how did I miss you? Hopefully we'll have a chance to meet another time ... hopefully next year.

    In the meantime, I LOVE the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it was really nice to meet you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the new look and it sounds like you had fun at those things you were able to get to this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a nice layout! Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, I LOVE the new design! So chic. So fun yet easy to read. Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the new look...it's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great design! It was great meeting you too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun new look!

    Too bad you couldn't find more time for the BEA but good that you got to meet up with book bloggers.

    I really like Mountains Beyond Mountains for the message but preferred the writing in Kidder's earlier books more. I reviewed it in the first year of my blog when I met Kidder giving a book talk at Bowdoin College. He's a nice man and one of my favorite authors.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was great meeting you! Love the blog design by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gosh, a book blogger convention - how amazing. At least it shows the publishing industry have cottoned on to our value.

    Like the new design!

    ReplyDelete
  16. BEA is certainly a whirlwind of activity!

    ReplyDelete