Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday Salon: April 24, 2011


Daffodil Walk, New York Botanic Gardens
The Sunday Salon.com
Happy Easter, Happy Passover and Happy Spring!  I hope you have all had a pleasant weekend.  I have been taking in the warm and sunny weather in Florida while visiting my parents for Easter weekend - I could definitely get used to days spent at the pool and beach (too bad I will be headed back to NYC and work tomorrow evening).

Post Read a Thon Note
During the Read a Thon two weeks ago, I pledged to raise money for the Colon Cancer Alliance by donating per page read and per comment left on my RAT post.  Kay from My Random Acts of Reading commented on my post and generously offered to also donate to CCA for every page I read!  I think this comraderie is exactly what the RAT tries to inspire and its great that a charity can benefit from it.  Kay - thank you SO much for your generosity!

On the Reading Front
A Thread of Sky: A NovelI am currently reading A Thread of Sky by Deanna Fei - I have wanted to read this since it came out in hardcover last year but didn't get around to it but I am finally reading it now (the paperback published on Mar 29, 2011) and I wonder why I waited.  A Chinese immigrant returns to China with her three daughers (all born in the US), her mother and her sister.  The complicated family dynamics definitely have me hooked even though I am fairly sure I could not survive such a trip if my family related to each in the way this one does!  Ideally, I will finish this before Tuesday - BookTrib is hosting an e-vent with the author on Tuesday afternoon and if work permits, I hope to get online for it.  You can read more about it here 

This week I posted two reviews:

Secret Daughter: A Novel Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda (review here) - this author's debut novel could easily be in my top ten for 2011.


My One and Only (Hqn) My One and Only by Kristan Higgans (review here) - this is a fun beach read and the first novel by this author for me - I will definitely be looking for some of her other titles to fill out my summer reading list!

Hope you all have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Nothing says spring like daffodils. Great photo! I've read a few of Kristan Higgins' books. The first one I read made me laugh out loud - a lot: Too Good To Be True. Loved it :)

    ReplyDelete