Friday, April 22, 2011

Review: My One and Only by Kristan Higgins

My One and Only (Hqn)My One and Only by Kristan Higgins tells the story of Harper - a successful divorce attorney with a healthy skepticism about the permanence of marriage.  In addition to her own parents' divorce and the clients she helps daily as they try to dissolve their marriages, Harper also has her own divorce in the rearview mirror  - all these experiences with the end of marriages keeps her cautious about marraige, if not love.  But she is not impervious to romance and as the novel progresses we see that Harper is actually quite vulernable.

Harper, living on Martha's Vineyard and dating laid back Dennis, is invited to her sister's hastily planned wedding in Montana.  She has reservations about her carefree sister's third wedding but is even less thrilled about going to Montana when she learns her sister is marrying her ex-husband's brother. Harper does not relish seeing her ex again.  She is surprised upon seeing him again to realize she still has feelings for him regardless of her hurt from their divorce.  From Montana back home to Martha's Vineyard, she is on an emotional roller coaster and we are along for the ride. 

My Thoughts
This was a fun book with an engaging storyline.  I especially liked Harper as a character  -  she is strong and smart but with a softer side. The book would make a perfect beach read and I will definitely be looking for more books by Kristan Higgins for my poolside reading!

3 comments:

  1. I have this one on my shelves but haven't gotten to it yet. Good to know it's a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a book I could really relate to - I should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope u had a great weekend Colleen. You have some great books profiled here. Looking forward to Secret Daughter.

    ReplyDelete