Saturday, April 9, 2011

Read A Thon: Starting Line and Updates

I will update this post throughout the Read A Thon!

I have been hopping around cheering so I am a little late with my starting line post - but here it is:

1)Where are you reading from today?
Sunny (finally) NYC.  I will mostly be on my couch but I do plan to get a pedicure so some of the day I will be reading from a comfy spa chair!

2)Three random facts about me…  I have lived in NY my entire life except when I  was in college in Virginia (go Tribe!);  I have been skydiving once and loved it but don't see the need to do it again;  I NEED coffee


3)How many books do you have in your TBR pile for the next 24 hours? 7.5 - I will never finish them all but like to have some variety to select from

4)Do you have any goals for the read-a-thon (i.e. number of books, number of pages, number of hours, or number of comments on blogs)? First and foremost to stay awake - I am hosting starting at midnight so I am in for the long haul!  Second, I am raising money for the Colon Cancer Alliance by donating .10 cents per page read and .10 cents per comment left on my RAT posts (so get commenting!).  The lovely Kay from My Random Acts of Reading graciously offered to also donate .05 cents for every page I read.  So, my goal is to read lots so that we can support a great cause!

5)If you’re a veteran read-a-thoner, any advice for people doing this for the first time? Have fun, take breaks, MOVE


Where In The World Mini-Challenge

Hosted by I Heart Monster, Where in the World Mini-challenge asks you to go to the Where in the World google map and put a marker on where you are reading from (done - NYC) and select a participant from somewhere you would like to visit or have visited and stop by to leave a comment.  I chose The Crooked Bookshelf who is reading from India because I was fascinated by the country when I visited last year.  She did her intro meme all in images - stop by and check it out!

Last part of mini-challenge - Did 5 jumping jacks (I Heart Monster - my trainer will thank you!)

Hour 10 Update

ok -  how did we get to hour 10 already?  I will be taking about a 5 hour break to head to Hotel Griffou for a belated bday dinner with friends - I plan to finish the meal with an espresso (or 2) since I am on-duty hosting at midnight EDT.

Here are my stats so far:
Hours Cheering 6
Hours Reading: 2
Pages Read: 275
Books Finished: 0 (note to self - pick smaller books next year!)

BookClub Recommendations Challenge:

I stopped by Sheila at Book Journey and offered two book club suggestions - both are books I read last year and liked  - and they would spur conversation for sure:
The Financial Lives of the Poets: A Novel (P.S.)This Is Where I Leave You: A Novel

Hour 20 Update
After a 5 hour break for dinner with friends (and drinks - perhaps not my best idea considering this is an all-nighter event!), I came home to discover my wifi was out just as I was about to take over hosting duties.  But Vasilly stepped in and kept things going until I could get back online.  Hosting was fun but a little manic - watching twitter, email, blog and trying to draft the next hourly post had me a little schizophrenic in the beginning.  Nonetheless, I had fun!

With all these goings-on, my reading has suffered by I have these last 4 hours to catch up!  Will post more soon . . .

27 comments:

  1. Good luck today...with the reading and the fundraising!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea for the pedicure!! It will relax you and make your feet feel fabulous. Good luck. Read a lot and I'll be back around later to see how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking a second to say hi to folks before I disappear and read for a bit, so I understand. Best wishes! I hope you get in some great reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck! Staying awake is always the hardest part for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great day and enjoy the pedicure - wow, to be pampered WHILE you're reading - what could be better than that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Readathon pedicure sounds lovely! Hosting at midnight? Yikes! I guess that's one way to keep yourself awake through the wee hours! LOL. Hopefully I'll still be reading a little bit into your "shift."

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for stopping by my blog and cheering me on! And I love that you are also raising money for colon cancer...good luck with the rest of the Read-A-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Move! Yes ma'am! I think a mini-danceathon is in order for all participants sooner or later.

    Enjoy the sun and the day!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck today! Sounds like you have some great goals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dropping by to cheer you on and also because I want to support the good cause!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey there! Thanks for the visit! Having fun so far and hope you are too! Good luck with your fundraising! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ditto to the skydiving comment. I loved it, and honestly would love to do it again, but I don't feel a burning need. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the pedicure idea:-) I wanted to stop by and cheer you on as well. I am also a follower now so keep up the good work! I'm going to grab some snacks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm stopping by in my official capacity with the Readathon cheer squad to wish you a great Readathon and successful fund-raising...and thank you for co-hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep forgetting to get up and move! Thanks for the reminder. Happy read-a-thon-ing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been meaning to read "This is Where I Leave You". Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just got the Tropper book from Amazon's "bargain bin". Glad to know it's recommended!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Having fun yet? I had too much going on this w/end to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hope you enjoy your dinner! Look forward to having you re-join us! :) Happy Readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I hope you had a great dinner, I'm sure you did!

    Good luck with your hosting portion of the Readathon!
    I thought This is Where I Leave You was a funny, great book & it's a good Book Club book.

    Good luck with the rest of the readathon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wasn't familiar with the book This Is Where I Leave You, so thanks for mentioning it. Good luck with the remainder of the Readathon.
    Happy Reading,
    Bybee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Coming to cheer for you, because the cheerleaders need to be cheered for as well! :)

    You’re doing great! Keep it up! So glad you could join us today and hope you’re having fun!

    Cover to Cover
    And Coast to Coast
    Across the Oceans
    We’ve been brought together
    By what we love the most!
    Let’s hear it for the readers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hope you had a lot of fun! I had to miss the event yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like you had a lot going on throughout the day but hopefully it was all a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for helping with the readathon. I had such a great time and I'm glad you did too, even with the little hiccup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very impressive! I'm in the midst of a self imposed revise-athon before April break.

    ReplyDelete