Monday, April 18, 2011

Review: Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda

Secret Daughter: A NovelSecret Daughter is the debut novel of author Shilpi Somaya Gowda and is a powerful story about the ties, biological and otherwise, which bind a family together.  Although the novel covers themes such as poverty and the subjugation of women which feature often in novels set in India, these topics are treated with a depth and skill which allow this book to stand out among its peers.

The novel alternately tells the story of Kavita, a woman from a village in India and Somer, a woman in San Francisco who is married to an Indian ex-pat, Krishnan.  They are bound together by Asha - Kavita's biological daughter who she gives up at birth because she is not a son and Somer's adopted daughter who Krishnan and Somer adopted from a orphanage in Mumbai.  Of course, things are not as simple as that summary - Kavita mourns the loss of her daughter every day and Somer struggles with feeling alienated from her husband and daughter who share a heritage if not blood.  As the novel progresses, we witness the Kavita and her family's attempts at a better life with a move to Mumbai and Asha's development into a young woman who increasingly wants to know more about her Indian heritage and her birth parents.

Amidst Indian customs, exploration of the poverty of the Mumbai slums and the effect of the dowry system on the treatment of infant girls, Gowda presents a story about motherhood and the extents to which mothers will go to protect and provide for their children.  There are the obvious mother figures in Kavita and Somer but there are many others weaved throughout the novel including each of the women with their own mothers and women in the Mumbai slums. These stories of motherhood is what I found so moving about the book - the relationship of mother and child with all its joys and hurts is the great equalizer and lends humanity to each and every character.

I know this novel and the characters it introduced me to will stay with me for some time - I didn't want the book to end! The writing was excellent so I hope that Gowda will soon write another novel.  In the meantime, take time to treasure this one and consider it as a Mother Day's gift for all those special mothers in your life. 



Thank you to Trish at TLC Book Tours for the opportunity to review to this novel.   I received my copy from Library Thing.  




 

14 comments:

  1. Fantastic and well written review! This is one of my favorite books and I hope word will spread about it now that it is out in paperback (with an appealing book club friendly cover). Like you, I can't wait to see what Shilpi writes next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed it. Am looking forward to reading it as well!

    Book Dilettante

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't want it to end? That put it on my list, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lot of different dynamics that are really interesting... Ahhh now I want to read this too! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog and your nice comments about my review of this book. :) "Secret Daughter" is one of my favourite books. It's thought provoking and well-paced and it deals with so many complex issues. I loved learning about Indian culture and learning about the vast differences in the power women have in the home vs outside the home as well as seeing the resilency of women!

    I really found it hard to put it down and get stuff done. One of the major factors for me giving a book a high rating!

    I can't wait to check out more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was given a copy for my birthday and have yet to read it as my daughter is now reading it. Once I have gotten caught up with other committments I'll have some time to sit back and enjoy this lovely book that everyone has nothing but praises for. Glad to see you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a nice idea for a mothers' day gift! i'm terrible and haven't even given any thought to what i should buy my mom! secret daughter sounds like a powerful novel--especially for a debut--and i'm sure mom will like it! i know i've always gotten good reads through TLC. great review, colleen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of this book as a Mother's Day gift! I'm sure many moms out there would really love it.

    Thanks for being on the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I discovered this while book browsing. The cover immediately caught my attention. I enjoy reading books about mother and daughter relationships. Glad to know it's a fantastic read (sounds like it would be). Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm taking this one with me on the plane tomorrow and really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd love to read "Secret Daughter," and it's on my list, Colleen. Great review. I love books set in India. Reading "Someone Else's Garden" in fits and starts at the moment. Dang day job--totally interrupts one's reading and writing life.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow, I am so glad to hear this one was that great! I need to move this one up my tbr pile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This books sounds fabulous, and it's the first I've heard of it. I shall take a closer look. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed this one so much too! I just finished it this weekend and can't quite get it out of my head. I, too, eagerly hope she has another novel soon!

    ReplyDelete