Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday Salon: April 17, 2011

The Sunday Salon.com


Spring Has Arrived!
 After torrential rain last night, today turned out to be a beautiful day with clear blue skies and sun shining. I was happy to see it since I planned to go to the New York Botanic Gardens  - we were going to the Orchid Show which is indoors so all would not be lost in the event of rain but I am so glad the weather was nice and we were able to take in the grounds.  It is truly beautiful and a great place to read a book - I plan to try to get up there on a Summer Friday for lunch and some reading.  Here are a few shots from the day:







Read a Thon Wrap Up
Last weekend was the Read a Thon - I am a weekend late with my wrap up - I was just too tired on Sunday to write my wrap-up post!  For the first time, I was up for the entire 24 hours but I didn't get as much reading done because I was signed up to cheer and host.  It was so much fun to take part in the organizing since I have always enjoyed taking part as a reader in the past and thought it would be good to lend a hand in the organizing.  A few lessons - the read a thon takes ALOT of hard work and planning to execute and my hats go off to those that plan it each time.  Lesson 2 - I can read or cheer or host but not all three - my day was totally chaotic!  For this Read a Thon, I decided to read for charity again - I pledged $ per page read and per comment on my RAT post.  Anyway, here is the summary:

Read - about 4 hours
Pages read: 295
Comments on RAT post: 27
$$ raised for Colon Cancer Alliance =  41.75 (I will round this to $50 and also add in my company's match)

Did you do the Read A Thon?  How was the day for you?

Books
Dance LessonsStill a little slow on the posting front but I am reading a lot so there will be lots of material . .  . as soon as I get back into blogging more regularly!  I did post a review this week of a book that I thought was wonderful  - Dance Lessons by Aine Greaney.  The book is set in the West of Ireland and has two strong women characters caught in a family drama - the novel is very well done and I truly enjoyed it. 





Hope you all have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous! There was snow in the air in central NY yesterday :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flowers, Colleen. My favorite color of purple-red-ish! Is that a color? LOL

    I'm going to round up on my pledge to sponsor your readathon reading. I'll make it .10 a page and then round to $30.00. Thanks for letting me help with this and I'll get my donation to Colon Cancer Alliance soon. You worked hard, even if you didn't get to read all that much. A labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your photos from the Botanical Gardens. I haven't been to the NYCgardens in years, I have to get there....and maybe stop at the zoo, too! The colors of the flowers are so vivid, spectacular!
    You did a great job with the readathon! It is exhausting, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What pretty photos! I wish it looked this nice and springy here! :-)

    ReplyDelete