Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Sunday Salon - June 27, 2010

The Sunday Salon.com

With 90 degree heat this week in NYC, Summer has arrived!  I long to be able to hit the beach with a stack of books but I may need to resort to my buidling's roof until I can take some vacation time!  What is your reading destination this summer?

 The first day of Summer was June 21st and that also brought and end to the Spring Reading Thing hosted by Callapidder Days.  For this "challenge" participants set out their reading plans for the Spring season - I posted my list here and this how I did:

Finished

 Hiking Through: Finding Peace and Freedom on the Appalachian Trail Very Valentine: A NovelBrava, Valentine: A NovelThe Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott

The Season of Second Chances: A NovelBrooklyn: A NovelProspect Park West: A Novel
 Not on the list, But Finished
As much as I wanted to read every book on my list, I also got distracted by other books which took me off plan . . . 
Alexandra, GoneMountains Beyond Mountains: The Quest of Dr. Paul Farmer, a Man Who Would Cure the World (Paperback)Somewhere Inside: One Sister's Captivity in North Korea and the Other's Fight to Bring Her Home
Did Not Finish
Spring was tough for me - I had 6 horrible weeks at work which left me with limited time for reading so I didn't accomplish everything I had hoped - here is what I didn't read.  These will be moving to my list for summer ...
What and where will you be reading this summer?

13 comments:

  1. Ok, I have to apologize b/c I obviously have not commented here in a while (though I read all your posts on my reader!)... I clicked through to your site and saw your layout.. how long has it been like this? I absolutely LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny! I got this done right after BEA - I had hoped to have it done before BEA but didn't get my act together in time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had a good spring for reading! Hope you get toThe Corrections soon. I loved it! Franzen has a new book coming out this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I really want to read Brooklyn and The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be reading the same place I always read...right here in my cushy chair. I'm afraid summers at the coast can be foggy, so it's kinda gloomy right now.

    I've never read Catch-22, so I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked Brooklyn, and of course, I LOVE anything by Adriana. Have you read Tracy Kidder's latest, Strength in What Remains? It gives you an interesting perspective on immigrant life in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane - I haven't read that one yet but was eyeing it in the bookstore the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to Florida in August and I'm bringing A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES and THE ROAD TO WELLVILLE. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've found I can only stick to preplanned lists for so long and then I start to wing it. I really do want to read "Hiking Through." I'll be curious to see what you think of "The Corrections." It had it moments but it was a bit of a slog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like for got some great books read, and some other good ones to come.

    The Space Between Us is fabulous; do not miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter was visiting her grandparents in NYC, while my husband and I were in Canada for our anniversary, and she complained of the blistering heat. I recognize several favorites on your impressive spring reading list, especially Night. Congratulations on reading and reviewing so many.

    My reading destination is Nantucket Island later in August with 2 terrific independent bookstores, plenty of beaches and a hammock. I just finished rereading Wuthering Heights, and now I’m reading Jane Green’s latest, Promises to Keep, a good beach book as that is where I'm headed tomorrow. I just bought The Tinker (Pulitzer Prize) and ordered the latest David Mitchell from our independent bookstore after reading the review in the NYT. I have a huge stack of other books too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm finishing up The Swimming Pool right now and I love it. Be sure to get to that one during the summer too since it takes place mostly in the summer.

    The Corrections is also probably one of my all time fave books. I actually like it less as I get older but I consider it invaluable for teaching me about writing.

    ReplyDelete