Monday, June 21, 2010

Why Audiobooks?

I am a fairly recent convert to audiobooks - I listened to my first audiobook about 2 years ago during a commute.  I have to admit - prior to that I had been pretty dismissive of audiobooks.  I considered them "less than" print books and felt a serious reader would not listen to the audiobooks - oh, how wrong I was!

I turned to audiobooks at a point in my life where I was working crazy hours and commuting 2+ hours per day by car - I was overworked and missed my downtime with books that had been part of my nightly ritual since I was a child.  A friend lent me an audiobook and I started listening to and from work - by the end of that first week, I was sitting outside my building in the car each night just trying to finish that last chapter!  I was completely sold on audiobooks and they made my commute so much more bearable - I looked forward to to drive home every night (even the Tunnel Traffic!)

Even with my new found love for audiobooks, I waded in very carefully - I only listened to non-fiction at first and tried to listened to books that I felt might be too dry or long/intimidating to read.  I soon had the realization that audiobooks are a bit like wine - if you wouldn't drink it, don't cook with it . . . if you wouldn't read it, you probably won't enjoy listening to it either!  I still listen to mostly non-fiction but have branched out to fiction and love being "read to"!

Why audiobooks - they allow me to read while I am otherwise occupied (walking, driving etc) and it is brings books alive and entertains me in a different way than reading.  It is certainly not an "either/or" proposition for me  - I still read many books in print but I use audiobooks to augment my reading.  If you are skeptical, jump in and give them a try - you might find yourself a convert!  If you are interested in some audiobook recommendations, here are a few audiobooks I have enjoyed recently:

You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning You Can't Drink All Day If You Don't Start in the Morning (review here)

Notes from a Small Island Notes From A Small Island (review here)

David Sedaris: Live For Your Listening Pleasure [AUDIOBOOK] [UNABRIDGED] (Audio CD) David Sedaris: Live For Your Listening Pleasure (review here)

12 comments:

  1. I had a post recently about audiobooks. I listened to my first audiobook within the last 4 weeks and I have been loving it. They will never replace the book for me, but they are great for when you have housework to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY...glad we have converted you. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never listened to an audiobook, but a friend of mine used to listen to them while he drove around for work (delivery man) and highly recommends them. i tend to get so lost in what i'm reading that i think i'd have an accident if i tried to listen while driving! although i like the idea of listening while going for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the last time i listen to an audio book was when i was 7 and my mom forced us to listen to them just so we would keep quiet and not destroy the house by running around like crazy little kids. i'm going to have a 2 hour commute coming august too so maybe it's about time i pick up one of these audio books. thanks for some of the suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am little skeptical, ok a lot.. about audio books so never tried one, but now that the kids are home for summer and my 3yr old who doesn't let me sit through anything... it might be a good time to start...
    BTW, love your new look( the blog's)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your suggestions - David Sedaris is a favorite in print but hearing him read his work in audio is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Sedaris is fantastic on audio.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love audiobooks, too! Started listening when I was spending way too much time in the car almost 10 years ago. Can't imagine reading a David Sedaris book - they are just too wonderful as audios!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Non-fiction works really well for me in audio. I don't like not being able to underline or take notes, but I still find it enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shelly, if you're looking to take notes for your audiobooks, may I suggest Audio Footnote for iPhone? It's an app that I created that lets you record voice notes while listening to audiobooks. Check it out at http://www.audiofootnote.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I won The Swan Thieves audiobook and listened to it on long trips to Canada. When I had eye surgery, I listened at home to the Secret Life of Bees and Travels with Pomegranates by Sue Monk Kidd. I became hooked on having stories read to me - started The Angels Game but found it too dark. Now I'll be listening to Sea of Poppies as I found it too hard to read.

    Some books are better when heard than when read and vice versa. One book I listened to I know I would not have read - Water for Elephants. Good as the book is, I prefer books that have a faster pace, but I loved listening to it.

    ReplyDelete