Sunday, June 13, 2010

Book Recommendations for Dad [TSS]


For today's Sunday Salon, I am going to feature some book options for Father's Day gifts. As a reader, I always like to give books as gifts and my Dad is no exception. My Dad is not a big reader at all - his tastes can be narrow and he certainly is not one to always have a book in hand but when he does find something he likes, he throws himself into it wholeheartedly and doesn't stop until he has finished it! I enjoy the challenge of finding something that elicits that kind of reaction! So here are some of my successes (and some recommendations for other, less difficult to please, Dads! :)

Sorry about the pics - I am having problems with my Amazon Associates blogger integration and I just couldn't get all the pics to load!

Finance
My Dad is a finance junkie - CNBC is a constant soundtrack in my parents' house - so this genre is usually a sure-fire hit.
ON THE BRINK: INSIDE THE RACE TO STOP THE COLLAPSE OF THE GLOBAL FINANCIAL SYSTEMLords of Finance: The Bankers Who Broke the WorldThe Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life


  1. On The Brinkby Henry Paulson is the former Secretary of the Treasury's account of the economic collapse of 2008 - it is more about the people and politics involved then just a rehash of the facts and figures of the collapse.  Interestingly, JP Morgan has a "Billionaire Summer Reading List" which is sent to clients and this one is on there.  There are also other finance books on the list  - I will be using this as a reference for future gifting opportunities! (click here for my giveaway of the audio and HB versions of this book)
  2. Lords of Finance by Liaquat Ahamed is another tale of the famed economic collapse (finance junkies can't seem to get enough of this!); the one won the 2010 Pulitzer for History
  3. Snowball by Alice Schroeder is a biography of Warren Buffett.  Buffett has had unprecedented success in the market but has remained remarkably unaffected by his wealth..  I think Dad will appreciate his legendary frugality!
Sports
My Dad's sport of choice is golf but I include some selections from other sports as well:

Moment of Glory: The Year Underdogs Ruled GolfSimple Courage: A True Story of Peril on the Sea
  1. Moment of Glory: The Year Underdogs Ruled Golf by John Feinstein.  Feinstein has authored two of the best-selling non fiction sports books in history (Dad was a big fan of one of them - A Good Walk Spoiled: Days and Nights on the PGA Tour).  If Dad likes golf, I am sure he will enjoy this one! (click here for my giveaway of this audiobook)
  2. Simple Courage: The True Story of Peril on the Sea by Frank Delaney - I had the pleasure of meeting this author earlier in the week (more on that in another post) and he told me about this non-fiction book of his (didn't even know he wrote non-fiction!) The story sounds fascinating and I think those who like sailing (and even those who do not) would enjoy this!
  3. The Game from Where I Stand: A Ballplayer's Inside View by Doug Gianville - a sports list would not be complete without one about the Great American Pastime - baseball!  I like how this books captures a ball player's observations on the game, its history and its future
Memoir/Biography
I love a good memoir and so does Dad (although we rarely like the same ones!)
Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation The Council of Dads: My Daughters, My Illness, and the Men Who Could Be MeManhood for Amateurs: The Pleasures and Regrets of a Husband, Father, and Son (P.S.)
  1. Manhood for Amateurs: The Pleasures and Regrets of a Husband, Father, and Son (P.S.) by Michael Chabon.  Chabon is a favorite fiction writer of mine but I think this memoir sounds like a great "growing into fatherhood" story
  2. Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation by Joseph Ellis - this is one we did agree on - its slim and provides just enough about the founding fathers so that even if you are not a history buff, you will enjoy it.  Ellis is a fellow William and Mary alum which doesn't hurt either!
  3. The Council of Dads: My Daughters, My Illness, and the Men Who Could Be Me by Bruce Feiler - this one sounds gut-wrenching but a perfect Father's Day book - Feiler is diagnosed with a rare cancer and assembles a group of male friends who can provide advice and support for his daughters in the event he does not survive
Fiction
My Dad is not a fiction reader AT ALL but I know many are - here are some suggestions:
The Given Day: A Novel
  1.   The Given Day: A Novel by Dennis Lehane.  Lehane is the author of Shutter Island and Mystic River and his detective novels are supposed to be quite engaging
  2. That Old Cape Magic: A Novel (Vintage Contemporaries) by Richard Russo.  Russo is a fabulous storyteller and his books appeal to both men and women.  His latest is out this month in paperback - just in time for Father's Day
  3. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson - ok, ok, I know it seems as if everyone has read this (I haven't, unfortunately) but if Dad read the first two and loved them, why not give him the final book in the series and make his day!  If he hasn't read the books yet, give him the Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy Bundle: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - he'll be busy for a week at least!
Children's Books
I love to mark holidays with books for children including my young niece and nephew - books add meaning to holidays for children and celebrate them in a way that makes sense to kids!  It is great when Dad's share reading with their kids and these books about Fathers and Grandfathers are perfect for kids to share with Grandpa and Dad!

  1. The Night Worker by Kate Banks  - Dad takes his son to his night job at a construction site and his son learns about where Dad goes every night after he tucks him in to bed.
  2. Grandpa Loves Me (Beginner Boards) by Marianne Richmond - Board books are great for very young kids and foster an early love of reading
  3. It's the Best Day Ever, Dad! by Brooke Shields  - in this children's book by the famous model/actress, kids spend a fun filled day with Dad
What are your favorite Father's Day book recommendations?

4 comments:

  1. That Old Cape Magic was very very good. I have several other Russo books I hope to read as well. LeHane is also a great author IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun idea! I actually bought my dad The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, which he has been eagerly anticipating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I saw my dad last month I recommended THE BROOKLYN NINE to him - it's a short story collection covering nine generations of a family & their love of baseball. Dad's a baseball fan and it's a middle grade kid's book, so my (non-reader) dad felt like he was making a lot of progress which kept him going through all nine stories.

    As for actual father's day, he's getting a couple of baseball movies since he's said he wants to spend his retirement collecting classic baseball films.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea to recommend Father’s Day books. Terrific list. I read and enjoyed That Old Cape Magic.

    I’d add The Poacher’s Son by Paul Doiron. It’s centers on a messed up father-son relationship, but it’s beautifully done. It’s a suspense thriller set in the north woods and good for even the most reluctant readers. My husband loved it too.

    ReplyDelete