Monday, June 17, 2013

Your Audiobook Year - Audiobook 2013 Week Post

Audiobook Week is being hosted by Jen of Devourer of Books and she has daily topics selected for the week to explore people's audiobook habits, favorites, etc. Today's topic is "Your Year in Audiobooks" and the prompt is:

Are you new to audiobooks in the last year? Have you been listening to them forever but discovered something new this year? Favorite titles? New times/places to listen? This is your chance to introduce yourself and your general listening experience.
I am not new to audiobooks - I tentatively started listening to them about 3 years ago when I acquired a frequent 2 hour drive to Connecticut for work - I realized how pleasantly the time passed while I listened to a book.  I originally started with non-fiction and mostly stuck with humor in that genre. I felt as if I couldn't follow plot on audio. I did, however, move on to listening to fiction on audio and realize with the right narrator I can enjoy a book on audio even more than in print. In the past year, I notice I have listened to more fiction than non-fiction. Here are a few of the fiction audiobooks (you can see all the audiobooks I have reviewed here)  I have especially enjoyed on audio (links are to my reviews):

American Dervish by Ayad Aktar (read by the author)


Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani (read by Orlagh Cassidy)


The Postmistress by Sarah Blake (read by Orlagh Cassidy)


The Unnamed by Joshua Ferris (read by the author)

In addition to listening in the car (the commute to CT doesn't happen everyday), I listen throughout the city - walking to work, on the subway, waiting for the bus. Now that I have my Fitbit and am trying to increase my steps, I want to work on going out for walks with my audiobook as opposed to just getting incidental steps in.

What type of audiobooks do you like? Where so you listen to your audiobooks?

13 comments:

  1. I've heard the Shoemaker's Wife was really good. I don't listen to audio books. I seem to get too distracted or daydream and miss the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read both The Shoemaker's Wife and The Postmistress and really enjoyed them. I have heard good things about the audio verisons of each...might have to listen to them one day!

    I love listening to audio while walking, and you're right - it's much more enjoyable taking normal walks than just walking around the house to get those steps in!

    My Audiobook Year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Listening to audiobooks on your walks definitely takes the step numbers up, and you'll see the results on your fitbit. My problem is remembering to take the fitbit with me :)

    The Unnamed looks intriguing. Thanks for the audio recs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also sometimes have the struggle with fiction versus non-fiction but have seen an improvement since I've begun listening. Though I do better with very very plot driven books that don't have a ton of internalization. And yes for the walking! Though if I'm running I need Lady Gaga Radio on Pandora. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I listen to all kinds and listen in the car and when I'm walking with my fitbit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My birthday is coming up next month and I have been thinking about asking for a fitbit. It would help me get more listening time in and the dog would love it, too!

    It looks like you're an Orlagh Cassidy fan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I listened to The Postmistress, too, and think I enjoyed the audio much more than I would have liked the print version! Interesting that The Unnamed narrated by the author is so good; I'll have to add that to my TBL list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I listen when I drive as well. It is great that we can listen on so many awesome portable devices and can listen any time we want :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm strictly fiction for audiobooks but I'm seeing quite a few non-fiction recommendations so I might try to see if I can do it. I tend to like fast action packed books on audio.

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh - Orlagh Cassidy reads Adriana Trigiani's books? I've been trying to get to her books for so long. I think you've just found me the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed another Orlagh Cassidy narration I read this year- I will definitely look for these two titles!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Will look into American Dervish on audio!

    ReplyDelete