Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sunday Salon: June 2, 2013


The Sunday Salon.com


This has been quite a week - I was fortunate enough to attend Book Expo America (BEA) which was here in NYC from Wed through Sat. It was a great week of books, authors, bloggers and readers.  Did I mention books?
I LOVE totes and BEA delivered!

I need to creatively stash these throughout the apartment


 I need to go through all this and sort out how I will best feature it all on the blog (if you have suggestions on how you would like to hear about these books, please leave them in the comments). I want to bring these books to you because I am excited about them and also want to make sure I feature them relative to when they publish since I don't read quickly enough to read all this in time! 


Here are some highlights of my week:

 - great book blogger events thrown by Harper Collins, Atria and Penguin which included blogger friends Kathy, Diane, Gayle, Nicole, Candace, Alison, Jenn, Elizabeth and Julie

 - meeting amazing authors including Joshilyn Jackson, Joseph Kanon, Sue Grafton, Kimberly McCreight, Amy Hill Hearth, Koethi Zan (check out her bio on the website - I think it is so well written!), Elizabeth Gilbert and Wally Lamb

 - having breakfast with other bloggers at the home of author Adriana Trigiani (!!) - this was such a lovely morning. Her home is beautiful and she was such a gracious host to us all. She is also invited authors John Searles, Bruce Feiler and Susan Fales-Hill. It was great to meet and talk books, etc with them too!

- cocktails with author Dorothea Benton Frank where we chatted about her road to becoming an author, the city of Charleston, and her latest novel The Last Original Wife. I also discovered a great little place in the city - The Tipsy Parson - they had a wonderful menu of drinks and eats (even though the pepper jelly on the biscuits almost choked poor Dottie - it was so spicy!)

Ok - off to settle in with a book - hope you all have a great week!

17 comments:

  1. Ohhhh my gosh that sounds so awesome!! Look at all those books! You got to meet and hang out with some great people you lucky duck ;) Can't wait to hear more stories and see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! will definitely do a few posts on BEA to cover it all.

      Delete
  2. I love those toes. I still have my Penguin one from last year and use it all the time. It's a great bag.

    I'd just love a list of books and maybe some notes on how/where you got them? It's hard to read titles in the picture you posted and I am feeling really nosey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the suggestions - I will do that in a subsequent post

      Delete
  3. You got to meet Wally Lamb AND get an ARC of his new novel?! I really must go to BEA next year. Glad you had such a great time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, JoAnn, it was pretty amazing. He actually spent a lot of time with the bloggers at the Harper party. They did a great job of bringing authors to that party and letting the bloggers connect with them.

      Delete
  4. Wow. I'm sooooooooo jealous.
    You met Joshilyn? I looove her.
    Breakfast with bloggers and Adriana?
    *le sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - it was great! both Joshilyn and Adriana have big personalities and it was great to be in their company.

      Delete
  5. I only went of Saturday but it was a really nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was there Sat today - the Power Reader idea seemed very successful and there were a lot of authors autographing which I really enjoyed.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a ton of fun! Wish I could have been there - maybe next year it'll be in the cards again.

    Can't wait to read more about your book haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - come back!

      I will definitely do a few posts on the books to get them featured.

      Delete
  7. What great BEA Loot - enjoy. I say the Wally Lamb books and started to droll, but them remembered I snagged and eGalley:)

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow ... what a haul you have! Happy reading, Colleen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Color me jealous!!! One of these years I am going to get to BEA. (And then I'm likely to sit down on the spot and vow to never move again! ::giggle::)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the best part of BEA is seeing all my blogging friends like you! Your kind offer really made my day yesterday! I'm happy to be home but miss everyone already.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post, Colleen. It was wonderful meeting you. Meeting other bloggers I talk to on the computer is the most fun of all, and I met new people as well.

    Can't beat that. And you certainly can't beat the totes. I love them.

    Let us know how you creatively stashed the books. I have been rearranging my shelves in anticipation of my books that my son has stashed in his place in NY and will be bringing home in July.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My It's Monday!! What are You Reading?

    ReplyDelete