Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Top Ten Tuesday - Top Beach Reads - June 11, 2013



Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by Broke and Bookish and asks participants to create a top ten list around a different topic each week. This week's topic is "Top Ten Beach Reads". One of my favorite places to read is on the beach and there are some books that just belong there. When I did my winter covers collage earlier this year, a lot of commenters said they preferred summer/beach read - this one is for you! (If I have reviewed the book, the link goes to my review)




 A Summer Affair by Elin Hilderbrand - If it is summer, there must be a book by Elin Hildebrand. She has the best summer/beach covers for these books and this one is no different. It has a meaty storyline but is utterly readable.

The Three Weismanns of Wesport by Cathleen Schine - This book is a take on Austen's Sense and Sensibility and it is what I call a "smart" beach read.

Life's a Beach by Claire Cook - of course, this one is a shoe-in for a beach read list!  Light and fluffy, perfect way to pass a beachy afternoon

Maine by J.Courtney Sullivan - Maine seems to be the literary destination of late.  I have seen a lot of books set there and it is, of course, a great summer destination.

Monarch Beach by Anita Hughes - Being an East Coast gal, most of my beach reads seem to feature the beaches of the Northeast but this book's setting is Laguna Beach on the West Coast

Releasing this summer  . . .



A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams - the vintage beach cover on this one just draws you in!

Sweet Salt Air by Barbara Delinsky - the water is in the distance on this one but salt air says beach to me!

The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank - I read my first book by this author (Lowcountry Summer) earlier this year and really enjoyed it.  This one is also a winner (review coming soon) and the cover is quintessential beach.

Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand - see above re: this author!  She takes us back to Nantucket for a wedding in this one.

All The Summer Girls by Meg Donohue - I had a beach house share on the shore with friends for many years and this book takes me back to that time.

What are your favorite beach reads? Favorite Beach?


19 comments:

  1. I need to find a beach fast! They all look like perfect summer reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! I cracked open The Last Original Wife this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG...these all look so good. My tbr list is never going to get any smaller!!! I absolutely love Elin Hilderbrand - have read all her books and have the newest one on reserve at the library. Claire Cook is another fav of mine! I just picked up A Hundred Summers last week - actually met Beatriz Williams!

    Thanks for the list!!!
    ~Kristin @ Always With a Book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love all those picks!! I would ( hope to ) read them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently finished A Hundred Summers and liked it quite a bit and now I'm curious about The Three Weismanns of Wesport.

    I love reading about Maine as a destination, I live in Portland for a while and loved it! I'm excited to read All the Summer Girls, the author's How to Eat a Cupcake was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed Maine. I'm reading the Engagements right now and am really enjoying it. I can't wait to read Beautiful Day and The Summer Girls. Great list!
    Natflix&Books' TTT

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Last Original Wife too, but my all-time favorite beach read is Anne Rivers Siddons' Colony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I need to read Colony! I went through a phase when I read a few of Anne River Siddons's books but don't think Colony was one of them.

      Delete
  8. We share Maine and The Three Weissmans of Westport - I just loved both of them! Guess I need to add Elin Hilderbrand, and the cover of A Hundred Summers reminds me of Tigers in Red Weather (which I hope to read this summer). Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - Tigers in Red Weather has a very similar cover look - hadn't realized that until now.

      Delete
  9. Yours has to be the most perfect beach list I've seen! Excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, great ideas for beachy reads! I love summer reading. Also, v impressed with the combo cover graphics. You are multi-talented. ;)

    Sarah @WordHits

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! The only one I've read is the 3 Weissmanns. I'd add The Beach House by Jane Green set on Nantucket Island. Right now I'm enjoying a literary beach book: The End of the Point by Elizabeth Graver set in Buzzard's Bay, MA over 3 generations of summers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the End of the Point - I read it during the winter and kept thinking what a perfect read it would be during the summer!

      Delete