Sunday, April 14, 2013

Review: The Wanderer by Robyn Carr

The Wanderer by Robyn Carr is a new series by the author set in the Oregon Coast in the town of Thunder Point. We are introduced to a collection of locals when Cooper arrives following the death of his close friend and longtime resident of Thunder Point, Ben. There is Mac, the police deputy, who is a single father living with his children and Aunt Lou; Gina is a single mother with her now teenage daughter; Sarah Dupre with her high school age younger brother is a relatively new resident in Thunder Point. The book largely focuses on the day to day lives of these characters but there is some romance thrown in for good measure. 

Cooper arrives in Thunder Point following the death of his friend, Ben. Ben has died suddenly due to a fall and Cooper soon discovers that his friend has left him his land, bait shop and bar. Cooper is surprised since he did not consider himself especially close to Ben. He sets about figuring out what to do with his new inheritance and trying to learn a little more about Ben including the mysterious circumstances of his death. Cooper considers himself to be passing through Thunder Point but he wants to do right by his friend's memory and fix up the bar and shop because he knew it meant a lot to Ben. This allows him to meet the rest of the Thunder Point community including Mac McCain, the police deputy. The two men quickly hit if off and Cooper enlists Mac's help in figuring out if Ben's death was really an accident. Cooper also meets Sarah Dupre and is drawn to the attractive young woman who is a Coast Guard helicopter pilot and guardian to her young brother since their parent's sudden death when she was just eighteen. Sarah has been hurt recently and is resisting her attraction to Cooper - especially considering he only plans to pass through Thunder Point.

My Thoughts
This is the first of Robyn Carr's novels which I have read and I enjoyed it.  It is an easy read with characters that you can't help but like. I also liked that there was a little mystery thrown in with Ben's death and there was a twist in that story line which I didn't see coming. I am glad that I have read the first novel in this author's latest series because now I have a lot to look forward to as additional novels in Thunder Point arrive!

5 comments:

  1. I really like and agree with your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read anything by Robyn Carr, but I think it's time I added her name to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds similar to Nora Roberts' novels, which I absolutely adore. I'll have to check her out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read a few Carr books years ago.. Virgin River and Virgin River Christmas -- guess I have some catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of Robin Carr's books yet; this one looks like a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete