Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Review: The Good Woman by Jane Porter

The Good Woman by Jane Porter introduces us to the Brennan sisters - Meg, Bree, Kit and Sarah- but the story focuses on Meg. Margaret Mary Brennan Roberts has always been the "good girl" - she is the responsible older sister, wife and dedicated mother to three. A perfectionist, she keeps the many plates of this busy family spinning from sports commitments and dance recitals to family birthdays.  All this and she works full time at a Napa winery as their marketing coordinator.

Lately, however, she is feeling under appreciated by her husband and beginning to question her need to always do the "right" thing. Feeling weighed down by her many commitments, Meg is tired and feels depleted. In addition to her busy home life, Meg is also entrenched in the many issues faced by her family.  Her sister Kit has been in a ten year relationship with Richard and there is no proposal in sight despite the fact that Kit very much wants to get married and have children.  Sarah's pro baseball player husband, Boone, cheated on her and Sarah has felt insecure in their relationship since. Being the protective older sister, Meg wants to protect her sisters from these hurts and her heart aches to see them struggle in their relationships.  Perhaps the most devastating family news, however, is that their mother's cancer is back and has metastasized.

Just as she is feeling insecure in her relationship with her husband and frustrated by the lack of passion they share lately, Jane's boss Chad takes an active interest in her. He pays her all the attention her husband does not - complimenting her on her clothes and appreciating the work she does for the vineyard. Pulled in so many directions and feeling under appreciated, Meg is especially vulnerable to this attention and she struggles with her conscience which warns that she is in dangerous territory.

My Thoughts
I have long been a fan of Jane Porter's contemporary fiction and when I started The Good Woman I was reminded of just how much I enjoy her books.  The characters come to life and feel like those you know in real life - your sisters, best friends and book club members. Meg, in particular, rang true for me - I see much of myself in her.  Even though I am not married with kids, I can relate to being the first born, being a perfectionist and feeling very obligated all the time. At one point in the novel, Meg's father recounts a story from Meg's childhood; she insisted on getting ready for school all by herself and finally came downstairs dressed in pants and a skirt. Her parents thought it was funny and were prepared to let her go dressed as is because Meg was so very proud of getting ready on her own.  At the last minute, her Dad changed her shoes because she had them on the wrong feet - Meg was devastated and said she just wanted to get it right.  She was hard on herself even as a young girl - her Dad reminded her that she came that way - her parents didn't cultivate that in her. My Mom says the same thing to me  all the time.  I get Meg.

This book is the first in a trilogy (the second book, focusing on Kit and entitled The Good Daughter is already out) - I am definitely looking forward to continuing to read about the Brennan sisters. 

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun read, Colleen! Have you seen the TV show "The Good Wife"? This book sounds somewhat similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a totally nonrelevant comment, but I remember the first time I got color in my hair, and I went to a "trendy" hair place, and my hairdresser's name was Bree, and she told me it was a made-up name because they all had to pick sort of cool trendy names to use! LOL Now I guess it's pretty normal! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why haven't I heard of Jane Porter? As the oldest of six kids, and mother of three, this sounds like a book (trilogy) I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy Porter's work too! I'm the younger child but I can relate to a lot of Meg's characteristics. I'm going to have to try to read this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not read any Jane Porter yet, and this sounds like a good place to start as I too am a first born of five. I can relate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed it, too, Colleen...and I want to read the next one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great book! She such a good author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds interesting. I haven't heard of Jane Porter before but I'm definitely intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so great when you can really get yourself involved in the characters so intimately.

    ReplyDelete