Sunday, July 17, 2011

The Sunday Salon: July 17 2011


It has been over a month since I last wrote a Sunday Salon post - with the warm summer weather and weekend activities, my blogging has been flagging.  I am trying to remedy that by getting a little ahead this weekend.   Perhaps because I feel overwhelmed as it is, I am loathe to sign up for another social media site (although I am loving Twitter) so I have resisted the draw to Tumblr and Google +.  I have decided that these outlets will need to replace one of my existing social media options before I sign-up.  I am, however on the verge of setting up a Facebook page for Books in the City.  Do you have a FB page for your blog?  Do you find it difficult to keep up with the many social media options? 

Reviews
In case you missed it,  I have posted some reviews lately (click on book title to see review):

Ellis Island: A Novel Ellis Island by Kate Kerrigan: This immigrant story about a young woman from Ireland who leaves her love behind when she emigrates to NY to earn the family some much needed money is an inspiring story about determination and independence.  The author, Kate Kerrigan, will be guest posting here tomorrow.  She writes about her experience living as the daughter of immigrants in England.  Stop by tomorrow!



Knowing Your Value: Women, Money and Getting What You're Worth


Knowing Your Value: Women, Money and Getting What You're Worth by Mika Brzezinski: This relatively short (4 hours) audiobook by the co-host of MSNBC's Morning Joe offers sage advice for women on how to understand their worth in the workplace and ensure their pay is equal to their male counterparts.  She has esteemed women and men in business, entertainment and politics (including Valerie Jarret, Donald Trump and Nora Ephron) share their personal stories about lessons they learned about getting what they were worth in the workplace.


The Very Thought of You: A NovelThe Very Thought of You by Rosie Alison is a quiet, moving story centered around the experience of a young girl evacuated from London during WWII.  It is really a story about love in all its forms - parental love, romantic love and the love between a husband and wife.  The characters in this book will haunt me for some time. 





The Girl in the Garden
The Girl in the Garden by Kamala Nair.  This beautiful story about a young girl who returns to India for a summer with mother unravels a family mystery bit by bit and kept me anxiously reading for more.  There is an echo of  The Secret Garden in this captivating novel. 







What have you been reading recently?  Have a great week!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck with the FB page. I've found it sufficient to simply link my blog to my personal FB page so new posts appear in the Networked Blogs group. I fear spending all my time networking with no time left to read, write, work and play :)

    Ellis Island looks like a great book and one that I would really enjoy. Will have to read your review of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a FB page for my blog, but I rarely go on there - I just don't get Facebook. I've resisted Tumblr, too, because it's all I can do to keep up with what I have going now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had been thinking the same thing about a facebook page, but it just is so much. Now, I joined google plus and I like it. Only problem is hardly anyone is on there, LOL. Even though it's my personal page I linked to my blog (I'm coming out to those who don't know I blog books, LOL) and I have a separate "circle" for book bloggers so I'm thinking that will still be a good way to network.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My blog is the extent of my social media..I'm not on Twitter or Facebook and I have no plans to do so...I'm happy with the way things are, participating on Library Thing, Goodreads, and some other book sites...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think one of the best things about blogging is not feeling the pressure to write when life takes you other places. I try to keep an apology-free zone, and it works for me. Sometimes I blog more than others, and it's just fine with me. I'm abandoned my tumblr, but I did love it for awhile. I too, love Twitter. I don't spend much time on Google+ because I'm really okay keeping Twitter public and Facebook private. I'm not sure I like having my worlds collide, even through circles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I won an audiobook edition of Girl in the Garden during audiobook week, but haven't listened to it yet - must do that soon!

    ReplyDelete