Saturday, September 4, 2010

Review: The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain

The Lies We Told The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain tells the story of sisters Maya and Rebecca - both are accomplished physicians but otherwise living very different lives.  Maya lives with her husband Adam and is a pediatrician in a local practice while Rebecca jets from catastrophe to catastrophe as a disaster relief physician and thrives on the her crazy, unsettled life.  As teenagers, they witnessed the brutal murder of their parents and that tragedy has created a bond between these very different sisters.

As the story progresses, however, we learn that their bond has some cracks and that they have told each other lies over the years to protect themselves but also to protect each other.  It also becomes clear that their parents' murder has influenced both of them in more ways than either admit until another crisis forces them to face their past, the lies they have told and how it has all shaped them today. 

This book is beautifully written and the characters are very well developed.  I really felt that I got to know Maya and Rebecca so that I celebrated as they evolved throughout the novel.  Despite the well developed characters, the story does not become predictable; in fact, I was quite surprised by a number of twists in the last third of the book.

The Lies We Told is an engrossing, pleasurable read and I will certainly pick up other books by this author. 

Thank you to Tricia at Media Muscle for sending me this book for review. 

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really interesting read. I don't typical read books like this - lit fic? - but this one has a great premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books about women like this and this one sounds particularly good! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use to enjoy Diane Chamberlain's books, but have not read her in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard nothing but great things about this book and this author... I reallly need to get to reading this book. Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't tried this author yet, but this book is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stacy and Jenny - I definitely recommend the author (and this book). I will be reading more by this author for sure.

    ReplyDelete